St Rita’s Catholic School is a single stream primary school in South Johnstone, FNQ. Built in 1933, the two storey convent school was built in solid concrete, with two classrooms and chapel over an arched under croft area.
This project was initiated under the Federal Government’s BER programe to provide upgraded library facilities. The school had only recently renovated the library. Due to numerous extensions and additions over the years, the school had little undercover play area and with cooperation of all the funding agencies, Catholic Education Services (CES) and the school, it was agreed that the funds could be better directed to a minor extension to the library and the provision of a new, more useful sports area.
Included in the design was a small stage and kitchenette to provide space where the entire school family could gather for numerous annual functions held in the community. The project was randomly selected for review by the BER Orgil Audit where it was accessed to have substantially achieved value for money.